Who at this time sees clearly and pleasant Virgin Mary Church, You might not even know that within the Almofala space in Itarema, within the northern area of Ceará, it’s already buried by tons of sand. 125 years in the past, a change in wind regime precipitated the encompassing bustling sand dunes to invade and canopy the temple in 1897.
This phenomenon repeated itself nearly half a century later within the Nineteen Forties, permitting the sand to disperse and the temple to be revived. Listed by the Instituto do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico Nacional (Iphan) since 1980, the church has turn out to be a vacationer attraction within the space.
Regardless of being a federally protected website, it’s open to guests daily—not simply on Sunday afternoons, as Almofala’s parish priest Father Ailton Ramos emphasizes.
In line with the priest, as a result of it’s so small, the church not holds all the construction of the realm, however continues to take action. Additional Sacraments, Baptisms, Weddings and Gatherings consists of teams and actions. At present, one other church is being constructed with a higher capability to serve the inhabitants.
Itarema Surroundings, Tourism and Tradition Secretary Thalles Walker explains that at this time the temple is included within the Municipal Tourism Plan and the Municipal Authorities is hiring employees chargeable for receiving vacationers on the gear itself.
The secretary considers this “unlikely”, because the church will sooner or later be threatened as soon as once more by the dunes.
The encompassing of the church is effectively urbanized, has easy accessibility and is effectively lit as much as the Almofala district. The church is now on the coronary heart of the realm, whose sandy soil has been reclaimed by human occupation and planting of coconut palms by residents in recent times.
Itarema Surroundings, Tourism and Tradition Secretary
The “Disappearance” of the Church
A compacted earth chapel started to be in-built 1702 on land “donated” to the native Tremembés by the Portuguese Authorities, inspired by the Jesuit mission in Ceará. Nevertheless, in 1708 the constructing within the Baroque fashion continued to take form with masonry, iron and concrete and was accomplished 4 years later.
Priesthood work continued for many years till the occasion started. In 1897, sturdy winds started to blow sand onto the constructing.
slowly a dune shaped subsequent to the temple, it’s “supported” on the construction. The east of the church started to fall below the load of the sand, which unfold to many homes within the surrounding space. Neighborhood residents even left their houses because of the drawback.
combat over pictures
With the evacuation of the village, Dom Joaquim José Vieira, bishop of the State of Ceará, removing of holy pictures view of the temple and its sending to the church of Nossa Senhora dos Navegantes in Itarema, about 10 km from the village. The request was made by Father Antônio Tomás, the then priest of Acaraú.
In October 1898, the priest went to the bottom to hold out the switch. In line with experiences written by the priest, greater than 3,000 folks have been current for the ceremony at daybreak. Nevertheless, the photographs wouldn’t be eliminated peacefully.
The excited crowd nearly prevented the saints from leaving, and there was even a combat after the service.
A girl named Joana Camelo entered the church, took an image of Our Girl of the Rosary, and fled. not seeing a detailed response, the priest himself ran after him till I attain out to him and seize him by the arm and ask him to return the piece. There was nice confusion on account of the incident.
Finally, the leaders of the misfit group have been arrested by the native police. After the conflict, the procession of transferring the photographs continued and reached Itarema at midday.
After some time, the church was nearly fully buried – at occasions solely a part of its tower was seen – and it might stay so. 45 years sunk
the church rises
Within the early Nineteen Forties the winds modified course once more. Sand started to go away the constructing and took a look on the tower. Excited residents sand extraction, cans, gourds, skirts or with their very own palms.
The motion revealed what remained of the temple. From the roof, nothing. Wood and iron constructions have been eroded, however the partitions have been intact. By 1943 the church was as soon as once more totally seen.
It was a neighborhood celebration. In January 1944, the holy pictures have been returned to the temple with nice ceremony.
In 1980, IPHAN registered the church with the church. Historical past and High quality Arts books. Between 1983 and 1984, the Institute additionally carried out main restoration work on the constructing, which is an instance of Jesuit structure in Brazil.
In 2012 town held a giant celebration to mark the three hundredth anniversary of the constructing’s development. The “story” is advised intimately within the 2013 documentary “Bailado de Vozes e Ventos em Almofala”.